BEYOND THE NUMBERS
While celebrating today’s 10th annual Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) Awareness Day (as we’ve noted), CBPP continues to lead a national effort to promote the EITC, Child Tax Credit, and free tax help. In our Get It Back Campaign, we partner with thousands of community organizations, employers, human service providers, government agencies, and many others to connect eligible workers to the EITC, free tax help, and other tax benefits.
The EITC is a federal tax credit for low- and moderate-income working people. It encourages and rewards work while offsetting federal payroll and income taxes.
Almost one-third of the EITC-eligible population claims the credit for the first time each year. Eligible workers might miss out on it if they don’t know they qualify, how to claim the credit, or where to find free tax filing assistance.
Our redesigned campaign website features several resources, including:
- Four Ways to Promote the EITC for Awareness Day with tips to use throughout the tax season;
- EITC Estimator to determine the credit’s potential value for a worker;
- Tax Credit Outreach Kit with information and materials to help groups conduct local outreach;
- Outreach tools and materials to inform potentially eligible workers about available tax credits and free tax filing assistance; and
- Asset development resources to connect the tax credits to financial goals.