BEYOND THE NUMBERS
In Case You Missed It...
This week at CBPP, we focused on poverty and inequality, housing, federal tax, health, family income support, and the economy.
- On poverty and inequality, Shelby Gonzales questioned the extremely broad authority immigration officials would be given under a proposed rule from the Trump administration.
- On housing, Alison Bell, Barbara Sard, and Becky Koepnick found that laws prohibiting discrimination against renters using housing vouchers improves the voucher program’s effectiveness. Bell also summarized these findings. We explained how President Trump’s and Representative Ross’ proposals to raise rents on those receiving federal rental assistance would hurt efforts to prevent homelessness.
- On federal tax, Roderick Taylor cited findings that the 2017 tax law gives White households in the top 1 percent more than all races in the bottom 60 percent.
- On health, Jesse Cross-Call demonstrated Medicaid expansion’s far-reaching benefits, despite critics’ claim to the contrary. He also debunked critics recycling false claims about expansion’s impact on seniors and people with disabilities. Sarah Lueck pointed to a Senate vote to block the expansion of short-term health plans, given the harm that those plans would have on people with health conditions.
- On family income support, Ashley Burnside and Ife Floyd found that benefits under Temporary Assistance for Needy Families remain low despite recent increases in some states. They also summarized those findings in a policy brief.
- On the economy, we updated our research on how many weeks of unemployment compensation are available.
Chart of the Week — Fewer Landlords Reject Vouchers in Areas Blocking Voucher Discrimination
A variety of news outlets featured CBPP’s work and experts recently. Here are some highlights:
Obamacare Premiums Dip For First Time. Some Call It A Correction.
Kaiser Health News
October 11, 2018
Embattled Republicans Are Defending Popular Obamacare Provisions They Tried to Kill
October 11, 2018
Donors Pick Up The Tab As States Reduce Higher Ed Funding
October 9, 2018
How to Make Trump-Style Wealth Pay Its Fair Share
New York Times
October 4, 2018