BEYOND THE NUMBERS
In Case You Missed It…
This week at CBPP, we focused on housing, food assistance, federal taxes, state budgets and taxes, family income support, and Social Security.
- On housing, Douglas Rice stressed that strengthening housing vouchers should be a priority in 2020 funding bills.
- On food assistance, Zoë Neuberger described efforts to streamline WIC applicant and participant certification processes.
- On federal taxes, Chuck Marr explained that the Working Families Tax Relief Act would raise incomes for about 46 million households across the country.
- On state budgets and taxes, Eric Figueroa highlighted Arizona’s move to lower tuition for students who are undocumented.
- On family income support, LaDonna Pavetti noted that quality work opportunities and direct financial assistance, not work requirements, stabilize families.
- On Social Security, we updated our backgrounder on Supplemental Security Income.
Chart of the Week — 21 States Plus DC Have Inclusive Higher Education Policies for Immigrants
A variety of news outlets featured CBPP’s work and experts this week. Here are some of the highlights:
Florida's shrinking spending on school capital projects
Tampa Bay Times
August 29, 2019
Poverty Doesn’t Sell, but We Wrote About It Anyway
August 27, 2019
Welfare Reform Was a Disaster for the Poor. Trump Wants to Make It Even Worse.
August 24, 2019
Trump’s War on Medicaid
August 16, 2019