off the charts
POLICY INSIGHT
BEYOND THE NUMBERS

You are here

In Case You Missed It…

May 31, 2019 at 12:15 PM
BY
CBPP

This week at CBPP, we focused on poverty and inequality, federal taxes, state budgets and taxes, and the economy.

  • On poverty and inequality, Danilo Trisi cautioned that the Trump Administration’s overbroad proposed public charge definition could deny those without substantial means a chance to come to or stay in the United States. We noted that the Trump proposal to lower the poverty line would cut eligibility or benefits for many health, nutrition, and other basic assistance programs.

  • On federal taxes, Yixuan Huang reviewed how a proposal to expand the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit would boost the economic well-being of millions of Asian American and Pacific Islander American households.

  • On state budgets and taxes, Michael Leachman analyzed data showing that some states still provide much less K-12 funding per student than in the 2008 school year, when the Great Recession hit. Elizabeth McNichol explained how a proposed Connecticut capital gains surcharge would raise needed revenue, reduce inequality, and help the state’s economy.

  • On the economy, we updated our chart book on the legacy of the Great Recession.

Chart of the Week — Incomes of Wealthiest 1% in Connecticut Far Outpace Remaining 99%

A variety of news outlets featured CBPP’s work and experts recently. Here are some of the highlights:

With a statistical trick, Trump hopes to define poverty away
MarketWatch
May 31, 2019

Districts in 22 States Still Haven’t Recovered From Recession, Study Finds
Education Week
May 30, 2019

Medicaid Work Requirements Need Lawmaker Action
Morning Consult
May 30, 2019

Single Mothers Are Surging Into the Work Force
New York Times
May 29, 2019

Don’t miss any of our posts, papers, or charts — follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.