Below are the answers to today’s quiz on the impact of government programs in boosting the economy and reducing hardship during the recession. Send an email to [email protected] today with your final score for the challenge and we’ll send you one of our newly-designed Center on Budget T-shirts.
- The Congressional Budget Office estimates that the nation’s Gross Domestic Product in the second quarter of 2010 was ____ it would have been without the Recovery Act.
ANSWER: b. between 1.7 and 4.5 percent larger than
- CBO also estimates that without the Recovery Act, the unemployment rate in 2010 would have been ____ than it actually will be.
ANSWER: a. 0.7 to 1.8 percentage points higher
- Up to ____ jobs would have been lost next year if Congress had not extended fiscal aid to states in August.
ANSWER: c. 900,000
- The TANF Emergency Fund has helped create ____ subsidized private- and public-sector jobs.
- The number of Americans receiving food stamps has grown by roughly ____ since the start of the recession.
ANSWER: d. 13 million