- Accounts Payable/Payroll Specialist
- Data Analysis Intern-Fall 2019
- Data Research Assistant
- Director of Media Relations
- Federal Fiscal and Data Research Associate
- Grants Budget Specialist - Foundation Grants
- Graphics and Web Posting Associate
- Help Desk/Jr. Network Administrator
- Human Resources Director
- JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Director of Operations, International Budget Partnership
- Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst – Federal Tax Policy
- Senior Director and Counselor, Equity and Inclusion
- Senior Policy Analyst – State Pension Issues
- State Communications Manager
- State Communications Specialist
The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, a national strategic policy organization that informs and shapes public policies to reduce poverty, promote equity, and build opportunity, seeks a State Communications Manager to help state advocates design and deploy cutting-edge communications strategies, tactics, and tools as part of a new initiative to catalyze state-based action on a range of policies and programs that improve child well-being, promote family stability, and address racial inequities at the federal and state level, including nutrition, child care, and income supports.
The State Communications Manager will be a part of a team working on this new initiative and will manage all communications support to state advocacy partners including developing messaging on the initiative’s policy areas and communications tools and templates to inform state policy debates, designing and conducting trainings on communications strategies, and overseeing communications consultants in support of the initiative.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for policies and strategies that reduce poverty and racial inequities and build opportunity, a track record designing and producing communications strategies and tools to influence policy debates, and be a strong writer adept at translating complex policies and research into persuadable, values-based messaging.
Roles and Responsibilities
The State Communications Manager will be responsible for:
- Designing a program of communications supports for state advocacy partners working on the initiative’s policy priorities in consultation with Center staff and state partners;
- Drafting messaging guidance and communications templates and materials (talking points, op-eds, toolkits, etc.) that are responsive to state partners’ needs on nutrition, health care, early care and education, and income support issue priorities;
- Providing individual coaching to state-level staff on communications strategy and planning, including how to shape and maximize media coverage and how to engage the public directly through digital media;
- Overseeing communications consultants associated with the initiative, including managing their workflow and ensuring work is high quality and meets deadlines;
- Supporting the Center’s communications goals and product rollouts by consulting on state-based communications strategies; and
- Planning and executing training opportunities and materials for state advocacy partners.
- At least seven years of relevant work experience in communications on policy issues;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including ability to communicate about complex policy issues in a way that resonates with average people;
- Experience with public opinion research, message development, and the most effective communications strategies and resources for issue advocates;
- Experience with traditional and digital media strategy and planning;
- Experience collaborating with and providing technical and strategic support to diverse partners;
- An understanding of the role that racial inequity plays in our society and demonstrated skill in communicating about public policies that affect low-income and diverse communities and have implications for racial equity; and
- Knowledge of and passion for reducing poverty and racial inequities, building opportunity, and state-based policy change.
This is a grant-funded position for 18 months with a possibility of renewal and the continuation of the project.
Please submit your application here.
Please submit a cover letter with your application. In your cover letter, please include a discussion of what draws you to the Center’s mission.
Salary commensurate with experience; excellent benefits, including generous health insurance options and dental coverage, life and long-term disability insurance, retirement, MERP, DCAP, and generous vacation, sick leave, and holiday schedules.
The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP) is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and welcomes diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages all qualified persons to apply regardless of any protected status under federal or local law including Minorities/Women/Disabilities/Veterans.