Areas of Expertise: State Budget and Tax
Nick Johnson serves as Vice President for State Fiscal Policy at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, a Washington, D.C-based research and policy institute. He directs the Center’s State Fiscal Project, which publishes frequent reports on how state budget and tax decisions are affecting families and communities, and develops policies to enhance fiscal responsibility, equity, and accountability.
Johnson’s analysis and commentary have been featured in national, regional, and local newspapers, and he is a frequent television and radio commentator on state fiscal issues. He is a regular contributor to the Center’s blog, “Off the Charts,” and speaks regularly at conferences in Washington and around the country. He also serves as an advisor to the members of the State Fiscal Analysis Initiative, a network of independent state-level policy organizations.
In 2004 Johnson was awarded an Ian Axford Fellowship in Public Policy and served as an advisor to the New Zealand Treasury and the New Zealand Ministry of Social Development, conducting analysis of that country’s programs of tax relief and cash assistance for low-income families.
In 2010 State Tax Notes magazine named Johnson to its “All Decade State Tax Team.”
Johnson holds a graduate degree from Duke University's Terry Sanford Institute of Public Policy and an undergraduate degree from Yale University. He came to the Center in 1996 from the staff of the U.S. Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition & Forestry.
You can follow Nick on Twitter @NickCBPP.
- Statement of Nicholas Johnson: North Carolina Senate Tax Plan Would Gut School Funding, Hurt State’s Economy
- Four Big Threats to State Finances Could Undermine Future U.S. Prosperity
- ALEC Tax and Budget Proposals Would Slash Public Services and Jeopardize Economic Growth
- Statement of Nicholas Johnson, Vice President for State Fiscal Policy, on Defeat of “TABOR” Amendment in Florida
- Florida’s Amendment 3 Would Cut Funds for Schools, Health Care, Roads, and Other Services