As a part of your application, we ask that you submit several documents, detailed below, to help us learn more about who you are as an individual and as a candidate. It is best to have these documents and materials prepared before starting the application. In preparing your application materials it may be useful to review some of the policy basics backgrounders CBPP has created. These can be helpful in gaining a general understanding of the state budget process and state tax policy. Please read the application instructions carefully before beginning your application.
We are deeply interested in learning about why candidates are drawn to research and analysis and the State Policy Fellowship Program. Please prepare a one-page cover letter that addresses each of the following questions.
- Please specify which fellowship location(s) you wish to be considered for and why?
- What skills and relevant experience (personal and professional) will you bring to the program?
- How do you hope for this fellowship to contribute to your professional goals?
Provide a resume with relevant work experience and skills. Resume should be no longer than two pages.
Equity & Inclusion Statement:
The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities is committed to promoting equity and inclusion in its fellowship program and in the public policy profession. Toward that end, please submit a statement explaining:
- How your unique personal and professional experiences contribute meaningfully to this program and the profession. For example, your statement may address your geographic origin; age; culture and language; or your experience working with communities that are low income or marginalized.
- The role that state budgets and tax policy play in addressing issues of oppression — particularly as they pertain to racial and economic inequality.
Your combined responses should not exceed 1,000 words.
Your cover letter and equity statement should be uploaded under “Additional Materials” within the application system. Your application cannot be considered unless all materials are submitted. Please submit all of these materials along with your application in PDF or Microsoft Word format.