Areas of Expertise: 2001/2003 Tax Cuts, Budget — Federal, Budgets, Congressional Action, Deficits and Projections, Economy, Federal-State Issues, Individuals and Families, Minimum Wage, Poverty and Income, President's Budget, Process, Special Series: Economic Recovery Watch, State Budget and Tax, State Economies, Stimulus Principles, Stimulus Proposals, Tax — Federal, Taxes and the Economy, Unemployment
Jared Bernstein joined the Center in May 2011 as a Senior Fellow. From 2009 to 2011, Bernstein was the Chief Economist and Economic Adviser to Vice President Joe Biden, executive director of the White House Task Force on the Middle Class, and a member of President Obama’s economic team.
Bernstein’s areas of expertise include federal and state economic and fiscal policies, income inequality and mobility, trends in employment and earnings, international comparisons, and the analysis of financial and housing markets.
Prior to joining the Obama administration, Bernstein was a senior economist and the director of the Living Standards Program at the Economic Policy Institute in Washington, D.C.
Between 1995 and 1996, he held the post of deputy chief economist at the U.S. Department of Labor.
He is the author and coauthor of numerous books for both popular and academic audiences, including “Crunch: Why Do I Feel So Squeezed?” and nine editions of "The State of Working America." Bernstein has published extensively in various venues, including The New York Times, Washington Post, Financial Times, and Research in Economics and Statistics. He is an on-air commentator for the cable stations CNBC and MSNBC, contributor to The New York Times Economix blog, and hosts jaredbernsteinblog.com.
Bernstein holds a PhD in Social Welfare from Columbia University.
- Proposal to Strengthen Minimum Wage Would Help Low-Wage Workers, With Little Impact on Employment
- SNAP Enrollment Remains High Because the Job Market Remains Weak
- Jared Bernstein Testimony: Tax Expenditures: How Cutting Spending Through the Tax Code Can Lower the Deficit, Improve Efficiency, and Boost Fairness in the US Tax Code
- Testimony of Jared Bernstein, Senior Fellow, Before the House Education and Workforce Committee
- Testimony of Jared Bernstein, Senior Fellow, Before the Subcommittee on Human Resources of the Committee on Ways and Means on Work Disincentives and the Safety Net