Chad Stone is Chief Economist at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, where he specializes in the economic analysis of budget and policy issues.
He was the acting executive director of the Joint Economic Committee of the Congress in 2007 and before that staff director and chief economist for the Democratic staff of the committee from 2002 to 2006. He was chief economist for the Senate Budget Committee in 2001-02 and a senior economist and then chief economist at the President’s Council of Economic Advisers from 1996 to 2001.
Stone has been a senior researcher at the Urban Institute and taught for several years at Swarthmore College. His other congressional experience includes two previous stints with the Joint Economic Committee and a year as chief economist at the House Science Committee. He has also worked at the Federal Trade Commission, the Federal Communications Commission, and the Office of Management and Budget. Stone is co-author, with Isabel Sawhill, of Economic Policy in the Reagan Years. He holds a B.A. from Swarthmore College and a Ph.D. in economics from Yale University.
You can follow Chad on Twitter @ChadCBPP.
- Statement by Chad Stone, Chief Economist, on the October Employment Report
- Statement by Chad Stone, Chief Economist, on the September Employment Report
- Statement by Chad Stone, Chief Economist, on the August Employment Report
- Statement by Chad Stone, Chief Economist, on the July Employment Report
- Introduction to Unemployment Insurance