The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, a non-profit policy institute that conducts research and analysis designed to shape public policy debates on a range of budget, tax, health care, and low income program issues, is seeking a Systems Administrator to join its Information Technology team of five. The Center has approximately 130 permanent staff, most of whom work in the Washington office.
The Systems Administrator will work as part of a team of five to develop and provide day-to-day support for all computer-related and network operations. The Systems Administrator will provide support on site and to remote employees. A highly-reliable information technology system is crucial to the success of our organization.
The Systems Administrator reports to the IT Director and works with other IT staff to provide CBPP personnel with the technology support and service that is required.
- Work closely with the IT Director in analyzing, designing, and implementing networking technologies that will accommodate scalability, security, and redundancy requirements and meet the organization’s SLAs.
- Keep apprised of significant technology product and service developments.
- Perform technology needs analysis – test/evaluate and recommend appropriate technology for use in the Center technology environment.
- Analyze industry network service and equipment offerings (e.g., servers, switches, routers, network operating systems (NOS), equipment power supply, and equipment software) to determine the best value solutions to meet CBPP’s information technology requirements.
- Proactively provide the IT Director and other IT staff with recommendations on (1) development and implementation of a reliable LAN and an effective backend technology environment and (2) how to expand and enhance the ability of CBPP users to access and use CBPP technology resources both while they are in the office and when they are away from the office.
Network Operation and Troubleshooting:
- Assist in management and maintenance of cloud assets such as Office 365 and the Meraki Wireless Network.
- Assist in provisioning, installation, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure.
- Troubleshoot and fix issues related to the technology infrastructure, cloud assets, and the LAN and WAN.
- Assist in managing all Windows servers, virtual environments, SQL databases, and backup systems.
- Assist in implementing procedures, including regular updating and monitoring of viral and malware protection; regular backups; backup verification; proper and timely off-site storage of backup tapes; firewall and web filtering monitoring and maintenance; and host and client user accounts, file permissions, and passwords to assure protection of the organization’s data; investigate and resolve security issues on the network.
- Assist with managing and administering Group Policies, maintaining the CBPP wireless network, and maintaining the CBPP phone system.
- Perform routine maintenance tasks for server room environmental and monitoring equipment, and ensure proper contractor performance of those maintenance tasks the contractor must perform.
- Test in the Dev lab any new hardware, software, software patches and fixes, and applications that need to be deployed within CBPP.
- Install hardware upgrades; configure and conduct ongoing performance tuning and resource optimization of CPU, memory, and disk partitions.
- Configure, install, and maintain LAN network equipment (switches, WAPs, routers etc.).
- Configure, install, maintain, and troubleshoot messaging-related solutions including Exchange Online (Office 365), Lync, MDM (Mobile Device Management), and Unified Messaging.
- Apply Windows updates to servers through the use of SCCM patch management software.
- Proactively monitor logs, performance monitors, and alerts pertaining to critical assets, provide reports of utilization to the IT Director, and responsively tune systems for optimum performance.
- Assist in monitoring and managing all backups as well as remote systems at the co-location.
- Monitor, maintain, and perform routine administration of all databases in order to ensure they meet the organization’s SLA.
- Install user-based applications on workstations and set up user accounts.
- Provide tier III Helpdesk hardware, software, and application support throughout the organization, and obtain positive outcomes and feedback. Provide tier II or tier I Helpdesk support when needed.
- Help provide training and tools for CBPP users to enable them to successfully use the network, operating systems, applications, and databases.
- As assigned by the IT Director, manage or participate in projects involving (1) researching, testing, and selecting new technologies, hardware, and software for use by CBPP; (2) designing acquisition and implementation plans; (3) acquiring, configuring, installing, and implementing the new technologies, hardware, or software according to the plan; and (4) documenting those efforts.
IT Policies and Procedures:
- Assist in development, modification, and adherence of IT policies, guidelines, and procedures.
- Assist in the initial preparation and then maintenance of programmatic and technical documentation, including an IP schema and network diagram for the CBPP network and systems, to ensure efficient planning and execution.
- Maintain hardware and software inventories, and a library of system documentation.
- Assist in developing and implementing an on-going training and continuing education program for the IT staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or the equivalent. A minimum of 5 to 7 years’ experience in networking and implementing technology solutions, including a minimum of 5 years working with Windows Server and Cisco equipment in a distributed corporate environment.
- Advanced skills in hardware and software troubleshooting, and network engineering.
- Experience successfully handling complex support desk escalations.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to multitask effectively; work with a diverse user base; and provide attentive and helpful end-user support on a variety of desktop systems and devices.
- Good written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours and to work occasional weekends and evenings when special operational circumstances require, and without advance notice in the case of operational emergencies.
- Demonstrated experience with configuration and administration of a Microsoft Windows environment (including Windows 7, financial systems, and servers 2008R2/2012R2), SQL, server clustering, Exchange, Symantec Backup Exec, DFS, DHCP, DMZ, Data Protection Manager (DPM), WSUS, Hyper-V, SCOM, SCCM components, WDS, VPN, VDI, Remote Access, Cisco and SonicWALL routers, firewalls and switches.
- Experience with management of Microsoft Office 365, including Exchange Online, Lync, Office 2013, SharePoint 2013, and AD sync, is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience designing and administering server clusters and virtualization (e.g., Hyper-V).
- Advanced knowledge of network technologies, including cloud computing, virtualization, software as a service (SaaS), and application server optimization (including routing, switching, and load-balancing).
- Ability to manage and administer a SharePoint 2013 cloud deployment.
- Individuals with MCSE, MSCA, MSDBA, MCITP, CCNA, PMP or similar certifications are preferred.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience; excellent benefits, including two health insurance options, dental and vision care, life and long-term disability insurance, retirement, MERP, DCAP, and generous vacation, sick leave, and holiday schedules.
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Systems Administrator” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls.
The Center is an equal opportunity employer, and as such, takes affirmative action to insure that discrimination does not occur on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, religious or political affiliation, disability, or any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law.