Job Announcement: Research Assistant - State Fiscal Project
The Center is one of the leading organizations in the country working on public policy issues affecting low-income families and individuals. The Center’s State Fiscal Project (SFP) works to ensure that all communities are economically secure and have the opportunity to thrive through responsible tax and budget policies. SFP analyzes specific state policy proposals, works with key partners to advance ideas for improving policy, and influences public debate on state fiscal issues through traditional and social media, as well as presentations, legislative testimony, and other outreach. The team also coordinates and provides technical assistance to a network of 41 state-level fiscal policy groups engaged in on-the-ground state fiscal policy work. The Center’s State Fiscal Project (SFP) is currently seeking a Research Assistant.
The Research Assistant plays an integral role in advancing SFP’s analytic work and technical assistance to state groups.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collects and analyzes data and engages in fact-checking
- Develops written analyses and graphic presentations of findings
- Analyzes pending legislative and policy options, and utilizes academic research and other resource materials
- Anticipates the needs of more senior analysts and produces analysis and information, even when not explicitly requested
- Provides information to policymakers, the media, and state-level analysts
- Other duties, as assigned
Qualifications & Requirements
- Must have strong quantitative skills and a background in public policy, economics, or related fields.
- Must demonstrate initiative, strong writing and communications skills, a commitment to accuracy, and the ability to work on multiple tasks, often on a time-sensitive basis.
- Have some familiarity with Census datasets and statistical applications.
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred; some work experience highly desirable.
Compensation: The salary is commensurate with experience. Center staff are offered excellent benefits including two options for health insurance, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, a retirement plan, generous vacation, sick leave and holidays.
Qualified candidates should send cover letter, resume and writing sample to: email@example.com.
Please, no phone calls.
The Center is an equal opportunity employer, and as such, takes affirmative action to insure that discrimination does not occur on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, religious or political affiliation, disability, or any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law.