The Systems Engineer will work as part of a team of three to develop and provide day-to-day support for all computer-related and network operations. The Systems Engineer will provide support on site, to remote employees, and for the networked home computers of staff. A highly-reliable information technology system is crucial to the success of our organization.
The Systems Engineer reports to and works with the CIO and other IT staff to provide CBPP with the technology infrastructure to meet the mission of CBPP.
- Works closely with the CIO in analyzing, designing, and implementing networking technologies that will accommodate scalability, security, and redundancy requirements and meet the SLAs.
- Keeps appraised of key technology developments.
- Provides the CIO and IT staff with recommendations on the development and implementation of a reliable LAN and an effective backend technology environment.
- Works to enhance the ability of CBPP users to work with CBPP technology resources while they are away from the office.
- Proactively bring technology solutions that have been discussed with the Departments to the CIO for implementation discussions and plans.
- Assist in the establishment of redundancy for critical network elements.
Networking & Troubleshooting:
- Responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure.
- Coordinate all technical issues with the manufacturers, vendors and their support teams for successful and timely completion of the projects.
- Troubleshoot and fix issues related to the technology infrastructure, the LAN and WAN.
- Manage all Windows Servers, Virtual Environments, SQL Databases, Backup systems etc.
- Daily operation and routine admin tasks for in-house and outsourced CBPP technology assets, including those in the Cloud.
- Manage and maintain services specific to enterprise-size networks, such as DHCP, DNS, WDS, WSUS, SCOM, SCCM, Systems Center Virtual Machine Manager, Hyper-V, Active Directory etc.
- Oversee day-to-day email functions and maintain SLA for uptime for Exchange 2010 DAG.
- Ability to manage and administer a SharePoint 2010 deployment.
- Maintain network and assets’ uptime per their SLA.
- Verify backups are successful. Responsible for off-site storage of backup tapes.
- Set up user accounts, permissions and passwords.
- Administer Group Policy.
- Create and maintain programmatic and technical documentation to insure efficient planning and execution.
- Maintain server room environmental and monitoring equipment.
- Maintain the wireless network of the Center.
- Implement procedures to assure the protection of organizational data through the use of viral and malware protection and verifiable backups.
- Advanced hardware and software troubleshooting skills required.
- Experience with switches, servers and routing technologies
- Knowledge of firewall technologies including configuration.
- Work flexible hours, including some weekends and evenings.
- Ensure virus protection is updated and working properly.
- Configure and maintain IP schema and network diagram.
- Perform testing in the Devlab for any new hardware, software, applications that need to be deployed in the Center. Test new software and software patches and fixes for deployment as well.
- Manage quotes and price comparisons on new and replacement network equipment and for budgeting.
- Assist in the maintenance of the phone system.
- Proactive monitoring of logs, performance monitors, and alerts so that critical assets are maintained per the SLA and providing reports of utilization to IT management.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Monitor and verify all backups as well as remote systems at the co-location.
- Maintain all databases and perform routine administration on such assets to meet SLA.
- Interpret and apply policies, guidelines and procedures of the organization.
- Tier III Helpdesk support for staff. Requires positive outcomes and feedback from the staff.
- Investigate and resolve security issues on the network.
- Assist in the development of on-going training and documentation of system capabilities.
- Experienced in multi-tasking and providing attentive and helpful end-user support on various desktop systems and devices.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software issues as identified by staff and self.
- Seek resolution of these technology problems via internal and external resources.
- Evaluate and participate in conversion, installation, and implementation activities for new hardware and software.
- Assist with computer software and hardware implementation projects.
- Identify technology solutions that address specific organizational bottlenecks.
- Project management for new technologies and research solutions for the Center and its staff.
- Meet with departments and users to determine on-going technology implementations for their strategic projects and plans.
- Create projects for the acquisition, configuration and implementation of such technology solutions.
- Responsible for maintaining hardware and software inventories and adequate library of system documentation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science.
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience in networking and implementing technology solutions.
- Experience with the nonprofit sector is preferred.
- Advanced skills in network engineering and troubleshooting.
- Experience with administration and configuration of a Microsoft Windows environment (including Vista, XP, Windows 7, SharePoint 2010, Financial systems, Servers 2003/2008/2008R2), SQL, Server Clustering, Exchange 2010, Symantec Backup Exec & Endpoint, DFS, DHCP, DMZ, Data Protection Manager (DPM), WSUS, Hyper-V, SCOM components, WDS, VPN, VDI, Remote Access, and Cisco and Sonicwall routers and firewalls.
- Experience in managing personal computers and various COTS (commercial-off-the-shelf) application software packages in a multi-user environment.
- Experience with the administration of SQL databases.
- Good administrative skills in maintaining hardware and software inventory records and documentation.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work with a diverse user base. Good written, oral and interpersonal.
- Candidates with an MSCE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer), MCITP, CCNA or similar certifications are preferred.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience; excellent benefits, including two health insurance options; dental and vision care, life and long-term disability insurance; retirement; MERP; DCAP; and generous vacation, sick leave, and holiday schedules.
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
The Center is an equal opportunity employer, and as such, takes affirmative action to insure that discrimination does not occur on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, religious or political affiliation, disability, or any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law.