Help Desk/Jr. Network Administrator
The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, a highly respected nonprofit policy institute that conducts analyses on key social welfare issues facing the US and other countries, is seeking a Help Desk/Jr. Network Administrator to join its Information Technology team. The Center has approximately 130 staff, most of whom work in the Washington office.
The Help Desk/Jr. Network Administrator will work as part of a team of three to develop and provide day-to-day support for all computer-related and network operations. The Help Desk/Jr. Network Administrator will provide support on site, to remote employees, and for the networked home computers of staff. A highly-reliable information technology system is crucial to the success of our organization.
The Help Desk/Jr. Network Administrator reports to and works with the CIO and other IT staff to provide CBPP staff with the technology support and service that is required.
- Work closely with the IT staff to assist users and help resolve technology issues that they may have.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Keeps appraised of key technology developments.
- Work to enhance the ability of CBPP users to work with CBPP technology resources while they are away from the office.
- A significant portion of the help desk role also involves business service requests. These requests can include enabling access to files and folders, creating accounts for new users and assisting users to navigate through well-known functions of common applications such as email, Microsoft Office etc.
- Excellent communication skills are required.
- Ability to handle all aspects of a task from analysis to final resolution.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work with a diverse user base.
User Support & Troubleshooting:
- Provide first line response for users requiring assistance with information technology issues and problems.
- Respond to requests for technical assistance by phone, email and/or using the Help Desk system.
- Track issues to resolution while updating the IT knowledgebase with the solutions and logging all support activity.
- Escalate more involved problems to the appropriate Tier 2 and Tier 3 IT staff.
- Setup and manage the Audio Visual systems for conferences.
- Image workstations and laptops.
- Remove all malware, viruses, Trojans etc. from devices.
- Smartphone and PDA support.
- Fix all copier and printer issues.
- Assist remote users.
- Setup of web conferencing.
- Assist in the development of on-going training and documentation for users.
- Move equipment for users.
- New Staff IT orientations.
- Create and maintain programmatic and technical documentation.
- Assist and/or manage tasks involving maintenance and enhancements of existing systems or implementation of new functionality.
- Troubleshooting of applications, hardware and software.
- Ability to write proper documentation.
- Providing support to users in the office and some home locations.
- Able to work extended and flexible hours.
- Ability to work with all level of users
- Effectively translate complex, technical concepts into easy to understand language to assist non-technically oriented customers.
- Must be able to lift and move equipment up to 50 pounds in weight.
Network Support & Troubleshooting:
- Assist engineers and administrators with the management and operation of the backend infrastructure to include servers, backup systems, email and database systems, file systems etc.
- Assist in the provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software.
- Help with troubleshooting and fixing issues related to the technology infrastructure, the LAN and WAN.
- Daily operation and routine admin tasks for in-house and outsourced CBPP technology assets, including those in the Cloud.
- Able to setup and manage accounts in Active Directory, Exchange, SharePoint etc.
- Verify that the backups are successful.
- Maintain the wireless network of the Center.
- Implement procedures to assure the protection of organizational data through the use of viral and malware protection and verifiable backups.
- Work flexible hours, including some weekends and evenings.
- Ensure virus protection is updated and working properly.
- Perform testing in the Devlab for any new hardware, software, applications that need to be deployed in the Center.
- Assist in the maintenance of the phone system.
Monitor and verify all backups as well as remote systems at the co-location.
Interpret and apply policies, guidelines and procedures of the organization.
Track trouble ticket resolution metrics against SLAs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science is preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in supporting a diverse group of users.
- Experience with the nonprofit sector is preferred.
- Knowledge of the ITIL methodology and change management processes.
- Experience with administration and configuration of a Microsoft Windows environment (including Vista, XP, Windows 7)
- Some understanding of SharePoint 2010, Servers 2008, Exchange 2010, and Symantec Backup Exec & Endpoint is preferred.
- Experience in managing personal computers and various COTS (commercial-off-the-shelf) application software packages in a multi-user environment.
- Advanced level expertise with Microsoft Office.
- Candidates with an A+, Network+, MCP, MCITP or similar certifications are preferred.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience; excellent benefits, including two health insurance options; dental and vision care, life and long-term disability insurance; retirement; MERP; DCAP; and generous vacation, sick leave, and holiday schedules.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Center is an equal opportunity employer, and as such, takes affirmative action to insure that discrimination does not occur on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, religious or political affiliation, disability, or any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law.