Program Officer (Civil Society): Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Project
Training and Technical Assistance Program, International Budget Partnership
The International Budget Partnership (IBP) at the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities in Washington, DC. The IBP provides a range of services to help non-profit organizations analyze and influence public budgets in developing and transition countries. The IBP is seeking a Program Officer (Civil Society) to lead in the development and implementation of IBP's MENA Project strategies for supporting civil society engagements in budget policies and processes. IBP's MENA Project will support work with civil society groups and government offices to increase public access to budget information and citizen engagements in accountable budget-making. The Program Officer (Civil Society) will report to the Manager of the Training and Technical Assistance Program, and will be based in Tunisia.
- Develop and sustain partnership relations with civil society groups interested in strengthening and deepening their engagements with governments on budget transparency and participation issues
- Formulate and implement strategies for strengthening the capacities of civil society groups to undertake effective budget work
- Support the development and implementation of ideas on how civil society groups can engage their governments on budget transparency
- Provide project management support for negotiating, finalizing and monitoring grant agreements with civil society groups in support of their budget work
- Ensure the provision of training and technical assistance required by civil society partner groups, coordinating the delivery of training and technical assistance support with other IBP colleagues
- Support government reform initiatives in public finance management policy and processes of the MENA Project, particularly in respect of how to more effective engage civil society in budget and policy processes
- Support the documentation of stories of change
- Provide project management support for the various activities of the MENA Project
Skills and requirements:
- Minimum of 3 years professional experience of working on civil society advocacy work
- Minimum of 2 years professional experience of developing and conducting training programs geared at building capacities of civil society groups to engage with governments, preferably around budget transparency and participation issues and/or public finance management, preferably in the MENA region
- Minimum of 3 years professional experience of supporting and advising the formulation and development of civil society strategies for engaging with governments in the MENA region
- Master's degree in Social Science, Public Policy, or equivalent qualification in a relevant field
- English and Arabic proficiency essential; intermediate proficiency in French desirable
- Extensive travel required
- Must be in possession of valid permissions to live and work in Tunisia
Salary: Commensurate with experience, excellent benefits, including two health and dental insurance options, life and long term disability insurance, retirement, flexible spending accounts and generous vacation, sick leave, and holiday schedules
To apply: Send a resume and cover letter via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put IBP Program Officer (Civil Society) in the subject area. Resumes will be accepted until the post is filled.
PLEASE, NO PHONE CALLS. The Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.